10 Traits of Mentally Tough Athletes
There is no doubt, mental toughness is one of the most important traits of an athlete. Another word to describe mental toughness is ‘GRIT.’ It’s the ability to work hard, to push yourself to your limits, and to respond resiliently to adversity or laziness. What do you do when you just don’t feel like working-out? Mental tough athletes have a response for feelings of laziness, entitlement, or the feeling of ‘being owed’ something without having to pay for it… and that response is they FIGHT BACK with the traits listed below.
It doesn’t matter if you are on a quest to lose 10 pounds or you are training for the olympics, these 10 traits will make you successful.
1. They have the discipline (guts) to say ‘No’ to things that won’t help them. They don’t give in to peer pressure.. Most likely if everyone else is doing it, it’s not the right choice.
2. They learn from the past but they don’t let it define them. Let what you do today define you. You were born an original, don’t be a photocopy.
3. They have a attitude of gratitude. They are thankful for the ability to breathe, to walk, to feed themselves, to sleep on a pillow, and to compete.
4. They expect the best. They are constantly believing their next practice, match, game, or race will be their best one. They have faith in their abilities.
5. They submit to a mentor. Their humility makes them coachable, teachable and hungry to be their best. They perform for the people they respect, not their own egos.
6. They are willing to take calculated risks. They don’t shrink away from trying new methods. They are willing to step outside their comfort zone.
7. They have staying power. Some refer to it as delayed gratification. It’s the ability to be patient but also show fanatical effort for your goals.
8. They have a high EQ (Emotional Intelligence). They don’t lose control over their emotions. They can stay cool when life heats up.
9. They are constantly making progress or working toward getting better. They are engaged in CANEI… Constant And Never Ending Improvement.
10. They can genuinely celebrate their opponents victories. This is probably the highest level of mental toughness. It means you can respect the sacrifice and hard work of your opponents, but at the same time it inspires you to become better and beat them at the next competition.